Wednesday, June 23, 2010


Potatoes and Zucchini

Zucchini's are sometimes eaten raw, although they have a very mild flavor-my take on that is, 'why bother?'

Sometimes I'll grate part of one, raw, or slice off thin strips with a potato peeler and add them to a salad. You can't much taste it, but it really adds a beautiful color to a salad.
Sometimes we just slice and steam them until soft in a steamer basket, add butter, salt and pepper--really excellent. Mostly I slice them and quartered slices of my Walla Walla onions-any onion will do, put them in a frying pan, add some olive oil, a little salt and pepper, turn the burner on high and toss them a bit, letting some of them get browned on one side, then cover the pan, turn it down to medium or low, and let them soften. Wonderful stuff! We usually have it every night for a week or two when it first starts coming in.

I think one could steam it for a few minutes, plunge in salted ice water and then pack them in zip lock bags for the freezer. I've never done that, but it should work okay. Mostly we have so many from 2 or 3 plants that we give away far more than we use. My daughter's family will take all they can get, but even sometimes she cries, "No mas!" I usually try to keep a couple of plants going into the late fall, and I've just started some more seeds to take over when the current plants have run out their life-span. Everybody raves about how good they are--and everyone is amazed at how fast they grow.

I started growing potatoes many years ago. We've always kept our potatoes in a cupboard, along with onions. Onions, bananas or apples will all give off a gas that makes potatoes sprout much faster than they might. I didn't know that back then. I simply buried them in the garden--found fresh dug potatoes to be about the best food on earth, and I've been growing them ever since.

When I'm doing potatoes on purpose, I put them on the shaded patio for a week or two, to let the skins turn green. Then I put a couple bananas, apples or onions along with them in a brown paper bag. In a week or two, they sprout. I sometimes plant them whole, but if I'm going to cut one into 2 or more, I dip the cut end in wood ashes and let them dry for at least a day. Dig a hole about a foot deep, put one in the bottom, put about an inch of dirt over it. When it comes up 2-3 inches, I push dirt up to just under the leaves, and keep filling in the hole as the plant grows. By the time the hole is filled back up, the potato is growing very rapidly. I sometimes dig them right after they blossom, but usually I wait until the plant is dying or dead, at which time they're as big and fully developed as they'll ever be. Baked or boiled, if you've never had a freshly dug potato, you're in for a very nice surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment