Thursday, January 10, 2013

Tomato Question


Dear Lee,

While back East I was talking to a Gal about growing tomato plants and she asked if I ever heard of hitting the plants with a stick!........she claimed that while in Italy she saw a man do this with the end result, twice as much fruit when all was said and done.
     
If true I know I would not want to do to my beautiful plants, but what is your take?

-W.


Hi W. -

Sure, we do that---but not with a stickl. We're not so brutal. We shake the cages, which shakes the plant, which causes more blossoms to be pollinated. Tomatoes are self-pollinating-they don't need no stinking bees. Wind accomplishes the same thing, causing more pollen to drop into the pistil. Commercial growers, in huge greenhouses, have fans that go on automatically for 5-10 minutes a couple of times a day to accomplish the same thing as the Italian with the stick-or us with the shake of the cage.

Have a swell day!

-Lee
 

No comments:

Post a Comment