Monday, May 17, 2010

Alfalfa

The word “alfalfa” is an Arabic word, meaning, “the best fodder.” Fodder is “food for livestock, obtained by cutting and drying any of various grasses, such as alfalfa.”
I usually use five bales a year, which weigh a little over 100 lbs. each. Once they’re delivered to my house, I have to find a tree trimmer who’ll run the bales through a chipper-shredder, otherwise used for shredding tree branches. It’s fast. The shredded alfalfa is then put in large black trash bags, usually 3 bags per bale, and I use it throughout the year. I spread a couple inches over a bed and dig it into the soil, and I use it for mulch when my seedlings are a few inches high. This year the Feed and Grain store manager suggested that since I was going to use it in my garden, why not buy Alfalfa Meal instead of alfalfa bales? My wife bought 20 bags of 50 lbs. each, a total of 1,000 lbs., for less than it would have cost to buy and shred 500 lbs. of alfalfa. That was a perfect birthday present.

No comments:

Post a Comment