Monday, May 17, 2010

Let us talk about Lettuce

We can grow lettuce year round here in Los Angeles, but if you’re starting to get spring fever, in your climate, one of the first things you’ll probably be able to plant is lettuce.

We prefer Black Seeded Simpson, a hearty leaf lettuce, as you see in the DVD. I buy it by the ¼ lb. package from Peaceful Valley Nursery, for about $11.00. They say there are about 100,000 seeds per ounce. I haven’t counted them, but a ¼ lb. of it is enough to re-plant a 17-20 square foot bed 5-7 times over the next year and a half. I keep all my seeds in the refrigerator, as they’ll remain fully dormant and in much better condition than if they’re left at room temperature. The last crop of lettuce is always just as vigorous as the first.

If your soil isn’t somewhat fine, the seed has a hard time in setting down the initial roots. Over 20 years ago when I was first filling my raised beds, I used a lot of Supersoil and was happy with it. Yesterday I bought some 2 cubic foot bags for $5.97 per bag. That’s about $3.00 less than I’ve been paying for bags of “premium” compost, which was much coarser material than I like, but presumably it was the best on the market.

Upon opening the bag, I remembered why I had liked it 20 years ago. I trust the ingredients as much as any other commercial compost, but always prefer to use my own. I always use more compost than I can make. The Supersoil is finely ground, and perfect for planting lettuce. Lettuce isn’t a “heavy feeder.”

If your soil is coarse, you might want to try:

* Evenly spread about 2 cubic feet of fine compost over a 15-20 square foot planting bed. Spread your fish, bone, and kelp meals over the compost, if you’re using them. Don’t apply more than the package calls for-more is not better

* Dig, with a digging fork, the compost in to the depth of the fork, about one foot, and mix it well with the soil. I never use a shovel in my beds as it destroys too many earthworms. I haven’t cut one in two with a digging fork, as you will if you use a shovel. Contrary to the popular myth, fewer than 10% of worms will survive being cut in two. If at all, only the half with the smooth band might survive.

* Smooth the bed out and level it as well as you can.

* Spread about 1 inch of the fine compost over the bed.

* Replace your drip system, if you’re using one.

* Saturate the bed with water, ensuring the entire surface is wet.

* Scatter a small handful of lettuce seed, as even as possible, over the entire bed and gently spray water over the entire bed until the surface looks very wet -- not so wet that the seeds float together and form clumps. (It’s hard to see the black seeds on the black compost, so observe closely where your seeds fall. Other leaf lettuce seeds are beige in color.)

* Cover the bed with cardboard. (I keep large cardboard boxes and cut them into large single sheets.)

* Remove the cardboard after 2-3 days.

If you have hot dry weather you may need to cover the bed with cardboard during the next few days beyond the first 2-3, uncovering the bed late in the day, and covering it up again in the morning. You might see some white mold forming. Not to worry, as it will be gone quickly when the sun and air get to it.

The advantages to planting leaf lettuce seeds this way is that you don’t need to cover the seeds with soil so they’ll sprout faster, the cardboard cover holds the temperature of the soil and seeds at a more constant temperature, and the seeds don’t dry out during the day when you can’t always keep them moist.

Of course you can omit the cardboard and just carefully cover the seeds with about 1/8th of an inch of fine, light soil. I’ve never been able to master that talent, but the cardboard is a perfect solution.

In a few weeks, enjoy a great salad!

1 comment:

  1. Although I have tried planting all sorts of stuff,all sorts of ways LETTUCE always grows for me.Its the only vegetable I cant kill!

    ReplyDelete