Monday, May 17, 2010

Forget the Gadgets and Gimmiks

“My full direction is toward helping the guy like you with his garden produce for his family use. Just do the basics that were developed thousands of years ago,” I told the fellow who asked me about some new garden gadget. If we could get 80%--even 40 or 50%, of the people growing their own anything, the impact would be huge. What I've learned over the years is that it takes an enormous amount of education to get people started even trying to grow a turnip. I've totally aimed toward simplicity in my gardens.

You see, I want people thinking in terms of, "You mean all I have to do is this, and I can have a real tomato like yours?"

"Yes, that's exactly what I mean."

The more complexity and significance you introduce, the less likely the average guy or girl is going to want to even give it a try. And one for one, anyone I can get to even "try," is thereafter hooked. They want to grow more and more of their own food.

But they have to start small, and it has to be as simple as it can possibly be. I just keep promoting the basics--and the basics are far more than adequate for anyone to get the best vegetables they've ever had.

When you put complexities there, such as how to make the perfect compost tea, how to grow an upside down tomato, or try to sell the notion that people must have this or that exotic new gadget in order to grow a carrot, you kill more interest than you create. Sure, you'll sell a few gadgets, but what have you really accomplished outside of a quick buck?

Experienced gardeners-real gardeners don't buy into that sort of thing. They just do the basics: natural soil enrichment, proper planting techniques, proper watering. And they get tired of people saying they “just have a green thumb," and that's why they have a great garden. A green thumb isn't something you're born with. You have to earn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment